UPDATE(3/5/2016): They voted to ban Kratom in Florida but it was actually denied.
A 20-year-old Boynton Beach man who jumped off an Interstate 95 overpass in July had the psychoactive herb Kratom in his system, a toxicology report released this week by the Palm Beach County Medical Examiner’s Office confirmed.
At least that’s how the story starts.
The 20-year-old boys name was Ian Mautner. Ian died on July 16 when he jumped off the 23rd avenue overpass in Boynton Beach and onto the southbound lanes of I-95.
His mom, Linda Mautner, believes that he died due to his addiction to Kratom. The toxicology report says that Ian not only had Kratom in his body but Anti-Depressant as well.
This is very important to the story.
Remember that Anti-Depressant and SSRI have been known to lead to suicide. I’ve said this many times before already:
Drugs like Prozac is one of the few antidepressants approved for the treatment of depression in youths. Unfortunately, however, studies on children have linked the drug to increased suicidal thoughts and behavior. As a result, the FDA issued a public warning in October 2004, and two years later extended the advisory to include young adult as old as 24
Remember Ian was only 20 years old and taking anti-depressants.
In 2007 the FDA took an even stronger stance. The agency required antidepressant manufacturers to update existing black-box warning about the increased risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior during initial treatment, which the FDA defined as the first one or two months.
An FDA black-box warning is the most stringent precaution a drug can carry before it is pulled off the shelves. It takes its name from the black border that surrounds the warning information on the drug’s packaging. The agency often requires pharmaceutical companies to include a bold warning on drug packaging and patient instruction sheets if serious or life-threatening risks are associated with the drug use
The article does not mention what antidepressant Ian was using; it would have been good to know what brand Ian was using so you can do your own research. The story also doesn’t mention how long Ian was using the anti-depressant for or what his history with depression was like.
Even doing an internet search on Ian and his death nothing comes up on the antidepressant he was using and how long he was using it for.
You would have to go to the Palm Beach County Medical Examiner office and request a copy of Ian’s autopsy.
That’s not the main focus of the article or his history with drugs, even though it should be. The article mainly wants to focus on Kratom and how since they found it in Ian’s body that has to be the cause of his death.
You should find that that to be very dishonest. They’re not taking into consideration the antidepressant. Why aren’t they taking the antidepressant into consideration when the FDA has said itself that it could lead to suicide.
No one is saying that Kratom couldn’t have contributed to Ian’s death because no one can know what happens when you mix Kratom and an antidepressant.
It’s the equivalent of someone saying you died from smoking too much weed but they also found large amounts of heroin in your system.
But they’ll say you died from smoking too much weed and neglect the heroine.
Maybe the weed contributed to your death but was it really the main cause.
So was Kratom the main cause of Ian’s death? It’s tough to say, but I’d like to see an autopsy of someone’s body showing all Kratom but that has yet to happen.
There’s always more drugs involved when the media says someone has died of Kratom. This seems to always be the case, but they hardly ever mention it.
So the media will stand on the dead bodies of people like Ian while the bodies are still warm and use them as a reason to band Kratom. They’ll say teens and young adults are dying of a dangerous new drug called Kratom.
With no disrespect to Ian, but because of one person’s death the government will decide for millions of other people what they can and cannot put into their bodies.
That’s exactly what they have done; they have used Ian’s death as the actual reason to ban Kratom in Florida.
Ian’s mother Linda Mautner stood before the panel and talked about how Kratom ruined her son’s life and lead to his death. She believed the only right thing to do so that other kids like Ian don’t die from Kratom is to ban it in Florida.
Even after tearful testimonies like this:
Ash says she was suffering from an undiagnosed Lyme disease, racked with pain, addicted to prescription drugs and unable to function until someone in a support group told her to try Kratom
“In 2008 and in my late 30s, I was so ill, I had to come back home to live with my parents. When my friends were going out and getting married and having children. I was reduced to a mostly homebound existence”
The panel still chose to ban Kratom in Florida.
The comment section below the article might reveal some hidden secrets that Ian’s mother, Linda, neglected to tell the panel.
Apparently Ian was an openly gay recovering heroine addict. His family wasn’t accepting of the fact that he was gay. So combine that with antidepressants and you might have a suicidal person walking around.
So is Kratom still to blame?
Whenever you hear the media talk about someone dying from Kratom always look into their medical history and ask what drugs was the person taking at the time?
What does the autopsy reveal about the drugs found in the person’s body?
These are important things to know before jumping to conclusion and blaming Kratom for everything.
P.S. You Can Order Kratom Here
With each purchase of Kratom you will receive an additional FREE Kratom sample packet as well.
It’s the vendor’s way of saying thank you for being a customer.